Asylum & Humanitarian Protection Claims

If you are in the UK and cannot return to your own country, because you have a well-founded fear of persecution, then you may claim asylum and qualify for refugee status.
Your family including your partner and children under the age of 18 can apply for asylum with you as your dependants if they are with you in the UK.
Requirements for leave to remain as a refugee

To qualify for a refugee status, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are unable to return to your own country, and if you are stateless, this is the country you usually live in, because you have a well-founded fear of persecution. The persecution that you fear is because of one of the following reasons:
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Political Opinion
  • Membership of a particular social group that puts you at risk because of the social, cultural, religious or political situation in your country, for example, your gender, gender identity, sexual orientation;
  • You will be unable to relocate and live safely in any part of your own country; and
  • You will be unable to receive protection from the state authorities in your own country.

Length of Stay
If your asylum claim is successful, you will be granted leave to remain in the UK as a Refugee for a period of five years.

Humanitarian Protection
If you do not qualify for leave to remain as a Refugee, but there is a real risk that you would suffer serious harm if you returned to your own country – for example, the death penalty or execution, unlawful killing, torture or inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, or a serious and individual threat to life, you may be granted Humanitarian Protection, valid for five years.

You may apply for settlement after five year period of continuous residence in the UK if you believe that you are still at risk of persecution or serious harm.

Family Reunion
If you have been granted Refugee status or Humanitarian Protection, your family members outside the UK may apply to join you in the UK. Family members who can join you in the UK on the basis of family reunion include:

  • Spouses, civil partners and unmarried partners; and
  • Children under 18.

Claiming Asylum in the UK
At Karir, we have wealth of expertise in assisting clients with their asylum claim. For expert advice and assistance with your application,
contact us.

Contact Us

T: 020 7965 7207
Monday - Friday: 9:30am - 6pm

Click here >


42 Upper Berkeley Street

By Appointment Only

Contact Us

M: 07881404347
T: 020 7965 7207
Monday - Friday:
9:30am - 6pm

Authorised and Regulated
by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
SRA Number: 627176