Student and Child Student Visa

Student Visa Applications 

If you want to come to the UK to study a course that lasts longer than 6 months or an English language course that lasts longer than 11 months, you will have to apply for a Student visa or a Child Student visa under the points-based system.

Student Visa

This category is for adult students aged 16 or over, coming to the UK for post-16-year-old education. 

Applicants are required to score 70 points for their application to be successful of which 50 points will be scored by providing a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) issued by an institution that is on the register of licensed student sponsors and 10 points for showing enough funds to cover course fee and living costs in the UK and 10 points for satisfying the English language requirement. 

English language requirement 

If studying at degree level, an applicant must demonstrate their proficiency in English at level B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) in all 4 components – reading, writing, speaking and listening. 

If studying at below degree level, an applicant must ensure that they are competent in the English language at a minimum level B1 on the CEFR in all 4 components.

Financial requirements automatically met

The applicants who will automatically meet the financial requirement and be awarded 10 points are those:

  • where they are applying for permission to stay in the UK, having been in the UK for at least 12 months with valid permission on the date of application
  • where they are applying for permission as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer
  • where they are applying for permission to study on a recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist in training.

Child Student Visa

This category is for children aged from 4 to 17 who wish to be educated in the UK at private schools.

Applicants must be able to score 70 points, comprising of 50 points for obtaining a CAS from a licensed student sponsor and 20 points for demonstrating enough money to cover course fees and living costs.

The maximum length of stay that will be granted is for 6 years or for the length of course, whichever is shorter.


Short-term Student visa 

The short-term study route is for people aged 16 or over who want to come to the UK to study an English language course with an accredited provider and not with a student sponsor that will last longer than 6 months. A person granted entry clearance under the Short- term Study route can study on an English language course (that does not cover any other subject areas) for up to 11 months.


Study Visa – 6 months  

A person who wants to study a course for 6 months or less without a student sponsor but with an accredited provider should apply under Appendix V: Visitor. 


Our fixed fees for individual study visa application range from £1550 to £2550 plus VAT and disbursements. Disbursements typically include Home Office / Visa fees, Immigration Health Surcharge fees, CAS fees, biometrics enrolment fees, optional premium appointments, translations, courier and postage etc.

Contact our Student Visa Lawyers in London
At Karir immigration lawyers in London, we have wealth of expertise in assisting students with their initial visa and extension applications. For expert advice and assistance with your student application, please contact us.

Contact Us

T: 020 7965 7207
Monday - Friday: 9:30am - 6pm

Click here >


42 Upper Berkeley Street

By Appointment Only

Contact Us

M: 07881404347
T: 020 7965 7207
Monday - Friday:
9:30am - 6pm

Authorised and Regulated
by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
SRA Number: 627176